Our History

The building that now houses the Dew Drop Inn has a long history of inviting people to share in community. From 1882 until 1924, it served as St. Andrew’s Church. After the present church was built, it served as the “Parish Hall” until 1981 when it became the home of the Dew Drop Inn soup kitchen.

It all began in 1981 with a vision by St. Andrew’s Parish social worker Sr. Roberta Derochie csj, together with the parish St. Vincent de Paul Society to address a serious social reality:  Many people were going hungry!

What the organizers envisioned was a warm, welcoming place where people who were hungry could come to eat with no questions asked. This tradition of caring is still fostered today by our dedicated team of volunteers.

The Dew Drop Inn could not operate without the broad base of support that we receive from the community. Twenty six church and community groups and numerous individuals make it possible for us to continue to serve the hungry of Thunder Bay every day of the year. Many local businesses offer their support and assistance by providing food items and funding. For all of these people we are truly grateful.

From 1981 to 2008, we operated as an outreach ministry of St. Andrew’s Roman Catholic Church. While we continue to be a valued parish ministry, the Dew Drop Inn is now operated by St. Andrew Soup Kitchen Inc. a non-profit corporation and registered charity. 

It is our intent to continue our work of feeding the hungry by providing a safe, nurturing environment where people are treated with dignity and respect no matter what their situation.